Work and Long-term Stay Visa: Applicants with Certificate of Eligibility

For stays in Japan longer than 90 days or any activity involving pay in Japan, a long-term/work visa is required to enter and stay in Japan.

What is a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligibility is a document issued before a visa application by the Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Justice, in Japan as evidence that the foreign national meets the conditions for landing in Japan.  To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, you are required to have a sponsor in Japan such as an employer, a school, relative etc. The sponsor in Japan must contact the local immigration office to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility on your behalf.

*For further information about COE, please see: Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility
*For Highly Skilled Professional Visas, please see: Highly Skilled Professional Visa (MOFA)
                                                            please see: J-Skip (Immigration Services Agency of Japan)
*For Specified visa: Designated activities (Future creation individual),
                                                          please see: Specified visa: Designated activities (MOFA)
                                                            please see: J-Find (Immigration Services Agency of Japan)

For more information, refer to the website of the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

General Visa Information
Please visit the General Visa Information page for information regarding the Detroit office’s window hours, mailing address and processing time.

Required Documentation

The following documents are required from each applicant:

   1.   Valid Passport: Original and one photocopy of the identification page

            a.   Signed, and with at least two blank visa pages
            b.   For passports containing any previous Japanese visa that is still valid, a signed consent form must be included.
            c.   Passport cover and any loose items in between passport pages need to be removed prior to its submission.  The Consulate is not
                  responsible for any loss or damage to them.

   2.   Visa Application Form
            Downloadable forms:  Visa Application Form to Enter Japan

            a.   Fully completed in type or legible print.  For non-applicable fields or questions, write “N/A,” “None” or “Unknown”.
       ●     Chinese nationals: include names in Chinese characters in addition to alphabet.
            b.   Personally signed.  Digital or ‘typed’ signatures on page 2 are not accepted.
            c.  Copies of any arrest or criminal records (including acquitted or pardoned) and associated court documents must be submitted, together
                 with English translations, if not in English or Japanese.  Complete details, in writing, required for any untried cases, e.g. the charges, time
                 served, fines, probation, etc.

   3.   One Passport-sized Photo to be Attached to Application Form

            a.   Taken within the last six months
            b.   Securely glued to the application.  Stapled or taped photo will not be accepted.  If glue is not available, simply submit a loose photo with
                  the application form.

   4.   Proof of Current Address in the State of Michigan or Ohio
            ** Consulate General of Japan in Detroit accepts visa applications from residents of Michigan and Ohio ONLY. **

            a.   Copy of one official document showing your name and current address for example, driver’s license, state ID, bank statement, lease
                  agreement, recent utility bill, recent pay stub, or latest school transcript (if currently a student)
            b.   Personal and private information not needed to validate your address (bank account number, bank balance, etc.) may be crossed out for
                  your privacy

   5.   Proof of Legal Residency Status in the US (except US Citizens)
            ** In principle, applications are NOT accepted from those visiting the US with B1/B2 visa. **

            A.   US visa holders (except B1/B2 visa):
                   a.   From CBP's website, a printout of the “most recent I-94”.  When printing, click the PRINT box located in the lower right corner of
                         the page, instead of your computer’s print command, to ensure proper formatting.  “Travel History” is not needed.
                   b.   A copy of I-20 (pages 1 and 2 both) for F visa holders and DS2019 for J visa holders
                   c.   A copy of I-797 (Notice of Action), if applicable

            B.   US permanent residents:
                   a.   A copy of valid green card
                   b.   A copy of I-797 (Notice of Action) or I-512, if applicable

   6.   Certificate of Eligibility: Original and one photocopy (front and back)
            **If COE is issued on or after March 17 2023, you only need to submit a copy of your digital COE.**

           a.   Dependent Visa Applicant:  If applying separately from the primary visa applicant, copies of primary visa applicant’s passport, Japan
                 visa and Residence Card are needed.

   7.   Visa Fees
          Visa fees are determined by reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of applicant's nationality.  The fees change on April 1st
          each year.
       ●     List of fees
          ** Payable in cash, by money order or cashier’s check payable to "Consulate General of Japan" **

   8.   Release of Liability if applicable (See “10. Retrieval of Passport” in General Visa Information.)

         Downloadable form: Release of Liability

   9.  Prepaid and self-addressed envelope with tracking system if applicable (See “10. Retrieval of Passport” in General Visa Information for

   ** The Consulate General of Japan in Detroit reserves the right to request additional documentation during the course of examination. **